Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Central Connecticut Blue Devils (1968)


Better late than never, a historical uniform from the school previously known as Teachers College of Connecticut, Connecticut State Normal School and Central Connecticut State College until becoming Central Connecticut State University around 1983. CCSU first fielded a football team since 1935, joined Division I in 1993 and entered the Northeast Conference in '96.

Historical info for the Blue Devils is sketchy, at best; I've relied heavily on the now-defunct Dial yearbook for photos (Aren't I glad I used Dial? #rimshot). Some years feature players in home and road uniforms, but most don't. I'm afraid some years are likely lost to history.

The 1968 CCSU uniform (I know it was technically CCSC, but I'm using CCSU to avoid confusion in the marketplace) kinds of looks like a mashup of UConn (jerseys) and UNH (helmets) from this period. The home and road jerseys are quite different: The roads have crew necks, numbers on the sleeves and "BLUE DEVILS" across the top.

The '68 Blue Devils in action. From the 1969 Dial yearbook.

The '68 Blue Devils were 6-2-1 and outscored its foes 152-40. Only American International was able to crack double digits against CCSU, a 14-14 tie. The coach, William Loika, went 94-72-3 from 1964-81 and won four Eastern Football Conference titles. (Aren't I also glad College Football Data Warehouse exists.)

On the road and in the mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment